Founding T. H. Sanders & Sons Funeral Directors
Our founder, Thomas Sanders Thomas Henry Sanders was born in 1848 in Twickenham. Throughout his teenage years, he completed an apprenticeship as an undertaker and upholsterer in St Leonard's, East Sussex. Eventually, he took up a similar position with a company in central London, before he decided to start his own business. In 1869, he established himself as an undertaker, upholsterer and valuer, working from Magnolia Cottage on Key Foot Road in Richmond. Sixteen years later, he moved into Alma House at 69 Kew Road in Richmond. Edward and Harry Sanders His two sons, Edward and Harry, joined their father some years later, in what was then a family business. This was the start of a period of growth, with the acquisition of several horses, carriages, and hearses. In 1921, T H Sanders & Sons Funeral Directors acquired new premises at Preston Place, just off Church Road, where they could keep their horses, carriages and hearses. Around this time, the firm also opened its first funeral home in East Sheen, where we still serve families from to this day.
Growth and Expansion
Growth and Expansion Thomas sadly passed away on 7th August 1928 and was buried in Richmond Cemetery. His sons took over the family business and continued to oversee many more developments and acquisitions over the following years. During this time, there was a construction of a new funeral home in Richmond, which came to be their head office, at 28 Kew Road, officially opening in 1937. T. H. Sanders & Sons Funeral Directors continued to grow steadily, helped by a number of acquisitions, including H. T. Eyles in Barnes, and H. G. Brown of Heston in 1938. They also opened further funeral homes, in Whitton, Ham Common and Roehampton. Their first funeral home, in East Sheen, relocated to 447 Upper Richmond Road West in the 1960s, around the same time that T. H. Sanders & Higgs was formed, following the acquisition of B. G. Higgs in Twickenham.